Thursday, April 2, 2009

Media and Body Image

I recently read this book called Packaging Girlhood by Sharon Lamb. I think it brought up a lot of good points (although overall, I think the book was a little bit too intense for my taste). It's all about how girls are sold specific images of what they can be in life. There's the pretty girly girl, the tomboy, the sporty girl, the gothic girl, etc. While I think these are all pretty accurate, I think that there is so much more to girls (which is ultimately the point of the book). For example, I don't think that as a teenage girl I would have fit into any one of those categories. I loved playing pirate ship, playing kickball, and dressing up and having pretend tea parties. Where does that kind of girl fit?
My point is, girls need to see that they can be any type of girl they want to be. It's part of what having a healthy body image is all about. If you can see yourself as God sees you, you can understand that you can be so much more than the choices the media gives you.

No comments:

Post a Comment